Friday 15 November 2013

What Did I Get Myself Into...



This is my mom's fault.
It all started back in the early 2000's when my mom decided to go back to school. It took her 7 years because she did it part-time but, she finally got her degree. Then, for years, she had to volunteer her time and continue with mini contracts that gave her a job and then, no job. What occupation could possibly be so difficult to get into? A parole officer. There are a limited amount of parole officers in Canada so, if you want a job as one, it can take a decade.
What does this have to do with me and my blog? Well, as my family and I were sitting down to eat supper back in October, she turned to me and said, "Erin, I'm going to Saskatchewan for 8 weeks to train for a job. How do you feel about taking an 8 week cooking course?" In other words, "I'm going to leave and it's going to be your job to feed the family."
I do not cook.
The extent of my cooking experience is mac n' cheese and possibly mixing the soup as my mom is making it. 
So, I was a little shocked when she dropped this news on me and of course I replied with, "Mom, I don't feel anything towards that opportunity. Thanks, but no thanks."
Well, my mom is gone now and I'm hungry--we all are.
Even though my family consists of 7 people, only my dad, brother, and I live at home right now. At least my meals don't have to be big. Furthermore, my grandparents have taken it upon themselves to cook for us whenever they can. Halleluiah! So, I will be cooking anytime they cannot.
Since I have been left with the responsibility of cooking, I have chosen to cook the only thing I like to eat in this world besides candy: potatoes.
So prepare yourself, you are about to embark on my 8 week cooking course involving everything potato. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment